Thursday 28 November 2013

Spiced Beetroot and Orange Chutney


Last week I posted about my Simple Living Christmas plan to make homemade hampers for my family for Christmas. I got a good head-start by making my first chutney on the weekend, and I have to say it tastes absolutely amazing...and looks really pretty. I think this would go really well with Christmas turkey in lieu of cranberry sauce, and it was very easy to make.


The recipe link I provided last week would make a large quantity. I made about a third of the recipe and ended up with about 600g of chutney - enough to fill my three pretty jars...and still have some for us too. It is a UK recipe which required golden granulated sugar. I substituted 2/3 brown sugar and 1/3 white sugar which was perfect.

Ingredients




500g raw beetroot, trimmed, peeled and diced (wear gloves)
1 onion chopped
1 green apple, peeled and grated
1 orange - zest and juice
1 desertspoon yellow mustard seeds
1 tsp coriander seed
1 tsp ground cloves
1 tsp ground cinnamon
230ml red wine vinegar
150g brown sugar
80g white sugar

In a large saucepan, mix together all ingredients well.



Bring to a gentle simmer, then cook for one hour, stirring occasionally, until the chutney is thick and the beetroot tender.


Let it settle for ten minutes and then carefully spoon into the jars and seal while still hot.


The recipe suggested sterilising the jars by running through a hot wash in the dishwasher or putting in a hot oven for 10 minutes. I boiled them in a large pan as the jars have rubber rings which I thought might melt in the oven.

Apparently this chutney will taste better in a month (just in time for Christmas) and will keep for six months stored in a dark cupboard. Once opened, refrigerate and eat within two months. This photo was taken just before I sealed the jar and the chutney has now settled down to a more 'mushy' consistency with lovely squares of tender, spiced beetroot.

After I made this I was so motivated at my success that I made another chutney using my golden squash. It was not part of my Christmas post, but will fill the hamper out beautifully! Will post that one later in the week.

Have a look at these wonderful packaging ideas I found at our local discount store for my biscuits, bread sticks, mustard, relish and individual Christmas cakes.


And... I just found these large Christmas boxes for $2 each! Can't wait until I can put it all together


Do you get excited planning your Christmas gifts?







Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...